All of us have days when it’s hard to get out of bed, and it feels like nothing we do makes a difference. These ups and downs are part of life, but learning how to cope with the down days can bring benefits to our entire life, even when we wake up happy. For this Business Insider article, writer AnnaMarie Houlis spoke to therapists to gather tips on how to build our happiness muscles. Since the Optimist Daily is all about supporting a positive mindset, we thought we had to share. Here are a few ideas from the article:
- Build self-care into your every day: exercise, meditation, a gratitude practice – put yourself at the top of your list and take care of you!
- Feel ALL of your emotions. Anger, Sadness, Joy, Fear – these are all part of what makes us human. If we don’t allow ourselves to acknowledge what we are actually feeling, that’s when the trouble starts. Being okay with not being okay can be a superpower.
- Use your Imagination – with intention. Consciously imagine yourself in a different place that brings you peace and happiness, and watch your mood lift.
- Try talking to yourself as if you were a little child. If you were as gentle with yourself as you would be to a small child, you may realize it’s your own negative self-talk that’s bringing you down.
- Ask yourself why you are feeling down. Then write it out, and see if you can re-work the problem
- Organize and clean up the house. There’s just something about organizing and clearing away the clutter that helps clear away the negativity too. Even a small cupboard can boost your mood.
- Dress the part. When you look good, you feel good.
- Use essential oils. Certain scents like citrus have an uplifting effect. Others, like lavender, can calm your nerves.