Today’s Solutions: August 11, 2022

When it comes to new electricity generation in 2020, the fossil fuels sector had a terrible year. Fortunately, the same can’t be said about the renewables sector.

According to a new report from the International Energy Agency (IEA), 90 percent of new electricity generation is coming from renewable sources—despite the coronavirus pandemic. Gas and coal, on the other hand, only accounted for 10 percent of new electricity generation.

The IEA report indicated that clean energy is on pace to become the largest power source in 2025, ending a 50-year reign from coal. The new report also highlights that the US is one of the world’s biggest markets for renewables and that deployment could accelerate even faster if the next presidential administration implements policies in line with the Paris Agreement.

“Renewable power is defying the difficulties caused by the pandemic, showing robust growth while other fuels struggle,” said Fatih Birol, the IEA’s executive director. “The resilience and positive prospects of the sector are clearly reflected by continued strong appetite from investors.”

Solutions News Source Print this article
More of Today's Solutions

VR tech helps international team of surgeons separate twins with fused brains

In miraculous medical news, virtual reality (VR) has helped surgeons successfully separate conjoined twins with craniopagus. Craniopagus describes a condition where twins are born with fused brains. It is an incredibly rare condition, and—this probably ... Read More

Could “antivitamins” be the cure to antibiotic resistance?

The first naturally-occurring bacteria killer, penicillin, was discovered nearly a century ago and with it came the advent of a new class of medicines: antibiotics. Bacterial infections were the leading cause of death at the ... Read More

Rare yellow penguin is mystifying biologists

In December 2019, Belgian wildlife photographer Yves Adams had an exceptional stroke of luck while on a remote island in South Georgia. Adams was leading a two-month photography expedition through the South Atlantic and had ... Read More

This radio station plays ethereal ambient music made by trees

Silent tree activity, like photosynthesis and the absorption and evaporation of water, produces a small voltage in the leaves. In a bid to encourage people to think more carefully about their local tree canopy, sound ... Read More