After a fire engulfed Notre Dame last year, French President Emmanuel Macron vowed to rebuild the 850 year old cathedral within five years. COVID-19 put a slight dent in those plans, but now the workers are back on site this week to continue the effort.
The rebuilding challenges have not been limited to the global pandemic. Winter storms and toxic lead released by the fire have also delayed the project.
Monsignor Patrick Chauvet, the rector of the cathedral, said the work getting underway on Monday was to make the site compliant with social distancing rules so work could properly resume. He said showers for workers would be modified and changing rooms adapted to reduce the risk of infection.
Although the cathedral may not be completely finished by the five year deadline, Monsignor Patrick Chauvet, the rector of the cathedral, is confident that visitors will be able to enter Notre Dame once again within the initial timeline.