Today’s Solutions: October 24, 2021

We recently shared how Massachusetts is on the verge of constructing the nation’s first utility scale offshore wind farm. Now, it’s continuing to expand its commitments to a post-carbon future with the passage of a sweeping climate law that will guide the Bay State towards its target of net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.

The law, which was passed last week by Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker, sets emission limits at 50 percent below 1990 levels by 2030 and 75 percent below by 2040 with interim limits every five years. As part of its strategy to meet those targets, the state will add more wind power to its grid, encourage cities and towns to green up their built environment, and build more EV infrastructure.

By 2050, officials expect the state to eliminate 85 percent of all its carbon emissions and offset the remaining 15 percent with tree planting and carbon capture technologies. The net-zero target of 2050 is in line with the recommendations of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change to avoid rising temperatures beyond 1.5C.

Over the next three decades, Massachusetts will focus on reducing carbon emissions from six key sectors: electricity, transportation, residential buildings, commercial and industrial buildings, industrial processes, and natural gas distribution. This comprehensive climate pledge is an encouraging blueprint for diversified emissions reduction across all sectors and will hopefully provide guidance for other states seeking to adopt similar measures.

Solutions News Source Print this article
More of Today's Solutions

These seaweed-inspired sensors use underwater currents to power themselves

Ocean protection increasingly relies on the internet of things (IoT) to gather essential data with the help of a variety of marine distributed sensors underwater. Most of these devices, however, have always been highly dependent ... Read More

Doctors complete first successful pig to human kidney transplant

For the first time ever, doctors at NYU Langone Health in New York City have successfully transplanted a pig kidney into a human. The primary function of this organ is to filter waste products and ... Read More

Vienna Tourist Board thwarts social media with unusual platform

The events of the past year or so have made us wonder: how much power should social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram have over what we see, and what we are presented with? Due ... Read More

This sustainable pigment is made from sewage sludge

While it may be comforting to think that everything we send down the drain somehow magically disappears without leaving an ecological footprint behind, that is far from what actually happens. In reality, the process involves ... Read More

The Calm Line is Colombia’s anti-machismo hotline for men

Cultures that are deeply ingrained with the concept of machismo, or the belief that men must be dominant, often have issues surrounding abuse and violence against women. While there are many women-centered movements and support ... Read More

Benefits of the contraceptive pill include diabetes prevention

A study carried out at the University of Birmingham has found that contraceptive pills may offer more than just their primary role as birth control. It was found that for people with polycystic ovary syndrome ... Read More