Today’s Solutions: November 29, 2021

Heating is responsible for 14 percent of the UK’s carbon footprint, posing a major hurdle in the country’s journey to reach net-zero emissions by 2050. As the country plans to phase out the use of gas boilers in homes by 2030, more sustainable heating technologies — such as green hydrogen — are emerging on the horizon to replace them.

One of the latest innovations with promising potential to decarbonize the UK’s heating sector is microwave-powered boilers, which can provide a straightforward, zero-emissions alternative to the gas boilers that heat most of the country’s homes today.

Developed by Heat Wayv, the novel boiler uses electricity to heat water which can then be pumped through existing radiators and to taps. The technology is currently in its prototype stage, but the company expects to ru trials of the first boilers in homes by the end of 2022 and begin sales by 2024. The price of one unit for a four-bedroom home would be around £3,500 ($4,800) — about the same price of an equivalent gas boiler. They would also be similar in size, making them more space efficient.

The Heat Wayv unit has 10 meters of pipe coiled inside, which is heated at multiple points along its length. As reported by The Guardian, the microwaves are produced by solid-state components, which can be tuned specifically to heat water and better targeted than the magnetrons used in microwave ovens.

What’s more, according to the creators, the heaters would have about the same electrical load as an electric oven and be 84 percent efficient at converting electricity into hot water. They would also be able to recycle another 12 percent of waste heat, giving the heaters a total efficiency of 96 percent.

Co-founder Paul Atherton says the company will initially target the 170,000 new homes built each year in the UK before expanding to convert older units: “The beauty of our microwave boiler is that it is completely compatible with existing home radiators.”

Solutions News Source Print this article
More of Today's Solutions

Italian garden installation shows us how much CO2 trees store

Trees are the lungs of our planet—we know that trees are needed because they sequester dangerous CO2 emissions, but do we really know how much we depend on them to clean the air we breathe? ... Read More

Go Cubs: The inspiring story of California’s undefeated deaf football team

The California School for the Deaf in Riverside had never won a division championship football game in its 68-year history, but that all changed this year when the team not only won a championship game ... Read More

New biomarker for Alzheimer’s discovered

Alzheimer’s is a complex neurological disease, with scientists still trying to piece together the complete puzzle of factors that contribute to its development. A number of different genetic and environmental risks have been determined─though more ... Read More

Bread and Roses uses floristry to empower refugee women in London

Rebuilding a life in a foreign country as a refugee is not an easy task. This is especially true for women, who often face more barriers than men as they are less likely to have ... Read More

Study: Schools of fish operate like a superorganism

The world under the waves is still a mystery, with 95 percent of oceans yet to be explored. Scientists are always uncovering many new and exciting aspects of this ecosystem; from the importance of fish ... Read More

New biodegradable glitter lets you sparkle guilt-free

As sparkly and magical as it is, glitter is actually a form of microplastic, and even products that claim to contain biodegradable glitter rarely actually are. This is a difficult issue to tackle because countries ... Read More