After all this talk about mushrooms this week, you might be tempted to go out and pick some mushrooms yourself. That’s not a bad idea, but before you go, you need to learn how to properly identify an edible mushroom from a poisonous one.

While the odds of you picking an edible mushroom rather than a poisonous mushroom lies heavily in your favor, experienced mushroom growers are quick to point out that foraging for mushrooms should never be thought of as a game of chance. The consequences of making a wrong guess or a misidentification about whether a mushroom is edible can be severe, sometimes requiring a liver transplant or even resulting in death.

To get the full scoop on how to identify mushrooms in the wild, have a look right here.