Monday, on our Optimist Daily Update podcast, we discussed the implications for the class of 2020 as they graduate in the world of COVID-19. Graduating during the uncertain social and economic conditions of a pandemic is difficult, but these tips will help you with your job search.
- Look where the jobs are. Many companies have created specific COVID-19 resources for job seekers. Glassdoor has created a job search hub and LinkedIn has a COVID-19-focused editorial section. Focus on jobs in particular sectors and look for industry-specific job boards like MediaBistro for media and marketing opportunities. Remember to create job alerts from your top sites so you don’t miss an opportunity.
- Get creative. Your dream job will probably not come about in the way you expected. Be willing to take on temporary positions or contract work to get your foot in the door. If you have the liberty to sacrifice pay for skill building, pursue an unpaid internship or volunteer to make connections.
- Work your network. Even during social distancing, online networking is important. Reach out to friends, peers, and faculty and let everyone know you’re looking for a position. Word of mouth and human connection plays a big part in employment dynamics.
- Optimize your resume. Integrate keywords from a job posting into your resume. This not only shows you have done your research about the position, it also puts you in a good spot when companies use keyword search software to rule out top applicants. Know what the company is looking for and tailor your resume to reflect that.
- Treat your search like a job. Searching for a job can be difficult, frustrating, and daunting if it’s your first time plunging into the professional world. Make a schedule for yourself and set daily and weekly goals. Consider finding a partner who is also seeking employment and hold each other accountable.
The market is tough right now, but people are hiring. If you’re a recent grad or recently unemployed, your next position may not look like what you expected, but be flexible and persistent for the best results!