We recently discussed how to catch the microfibers produced by your washing machine. Today, we’re tackling detergents with the most eco-friendly laundry options on the market. Here are some of the best waste-free soaps to wash your clothes. As an added bonus, many are also cruelty-free and use natural, non-toxic ingredients.
- Dropps. These waste-free detergent pods are shipped in simple, recyclable, cardboard boxes and the pods themselves are 100% biodegradable. Their shipping process is also completely carbon neutral. Want more? They also make oxi booster pods, fabric softener pods, and dish detergent pods.
- ECOSNext Liquidless Laundry Detergent. These “squares” look like a sheet of crafting foam and are each equivalent to one scoop of detergent. They simply dissolve in water and are nearly waste-free.
- Tru Earth’s Eco-Strips. These waste-free strips are hypoallergenic, biodegradable, cruelty-free, and are packaged in plastic-free cardboard.
- Soap Nuts. These innovative cleaning nuts have actually been around for generations and are made of berry shells that grow on the soapberry tree in the Himalayas. They clean using the natural compound saponin and to use, simply put 4-5 in a cloth bag and throw it in with your laundry. Each “nut” can be reused up to 10 times for a sustainable and waste-free clean.
- Blueland “naked” laundry tablets. This completely waste-free option includes a starter kit with 40 laundry tablets and storage tin. When the tin runs out, simply order a refill in a compostable bag. The company doesn’t stop with laundry. They also offer tablets that turn into hand soap, dish soap detergent, and bathroom cleaner when combined with water.
- Ethique’s Flash. This zero-waste, vegan, cruelty-free, and palm oil-free company sells laundry bars that are perfect for hand-washing and removing stains. They also offer waste-free personal care products, including shampoo, lotion, and deodorant.
Doing laundry can be tedious, but at least with sustainable products, it doesn’t have to be taxing on the environment. These are just some of the great eco-friendly laundry detergent options on the market. Fortunately, zero-waste home cleaning is on the rise, so it’s becoming easier and easier to make our everyday tasks greener.