Even though it’s just an hour, daylight savings time change can throw off your sleep routine. If the new sunset time is leaving you tossing and turning at bedtime, consider trying one of these 9 drinks proven to help you sleep.
- Cherry juice: Cherries’ high tryptophan content is thought to boost melatonin levels and help you get to sleep.
- Chamomile tea: This plant has been used for thousands of years and will not only help with your sleep, but reduce inflammation, improve digestion, and improve skin health as well.
- Ashwagandha tea: Available at most health food stores, this plant has powerful medicinal properties and promotes the non-rapid eye movement phase of sleep.
- Valerian tea: A member of the honeysuckle family, this plant is known to promote sleep, especially in women, but should be avoided if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Peppermint tea: Your parents likely gave you peppermint tea when you were sick. In addition to calming your stomach, this calming tea promotes sleep and reduces inflammation.
- Warm milk: This classic also induces melatonin production, and its nostalgic feel will help you drift off in no time.
- Golden milk: The addition of turmeric to warm milk helps your body regulate its sleep-wake cycle.
- Almond milk: This nutty, vegan alternative has been used to successfully treat cases of insomnia.
- Banana almond smoothie: Feel like a midnight snack? Potassium and magnesium help soothe muscles, while almonds exert their melatonin powers. Just try not to wake up your family with the blender!
Next time counting sheep just isn’t working, stop tossing and turning and give one of these bedtime beverages a try!
This story was one of the best from 2019, and we are happy to include it in our “12 Days of Optimism” as we get ready to welcome 2020!