Confidence in ourselves helps boost our self-image, excel professionally, and tackle tough situations. As corny as it sounds, believing in yourself is the first step to achieving a goal. Here are 10 ways to boost your self-esteem.
- Have a positive attitude. Developing an optimistic outlook on a problem or goal is the first step to achieving a solution. Focus on what you can do, rather than what you can’t, and visualize success.
- Talk to friends. Get feedback from trusted friends to assess your progress and consult with them about tough situations. For example, if you have a big presentation coming up, rehearse with a close friend and ask for their honest opinion about areas you could improve.
- Get moving. Exercise improves physical health and boosts endorphins to leave you feeling revitalized. If you have a big day ahead, try waking up early and taking a brisk walk before you even sit down at your desk.
- Do something with a purpose. We go through much of our daily life out of habit. Activities like grocery shopping, commuting, and answering emails are necessary, but likely don’t activate our sense of purpose. Try to do one thing a day that really excites and motivates you.
- Remember to rest. It may seem like confident, successful people are always on the move, but taking time to recharge and reflect is essential for rooting out what really matters to us. Hit the pause button and relax with activities that leave you feeling refreshed and ready for your next move.
- Listen to your body. We tend to assume that confidence manifests itself in our outward energy, but so much of it stems from our internal selves. Trying meditation or yoga to get in tune with your physical health and what your body really needs.
- Eat healthy. The food we eat influences our health and fuels our body to get through busy days. Make sure the bulk of what you’re eating is fresh, nutritious food.
- Set time aside for yourself. Alone time can give us time to think about what actions make us most proud of ourselves, regardless of what others think.
- Write down your goals. Achieving benchmarks improves our self-esteem, so writing down tangible, reachable goals is a great way to measure how well we are completing them and remind ourselves of how far we have come.
- Have fun! Enjoying yourself is one of the best ways to boost your self-esteem so get out there and have some fun.
All too often we perceive confidence as to how others see us, but far more important to confidence is how we see ourselves. If you’ve got a big month ahead or are struggling with self-esteem, try these techniques to remind yourself of your value and abilities.