Millions in Texas are still facing power outages due to severe winter storms. With more storms anticipated this weekend, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is foreseeing more rolling blackouts meaning more people will continue to live without basic needs all across the state. If you’re looking for ways to help, we’ve compiled this list of organizations on the ground helping those in need in the state.
- Austin Mutual Aid. This group has created a GoFundMe campaign to bring food and shelter to the unsheltered. You can donate here.
- Austin Street Center. This organization partners with a host of local nonprofits to provide resources for the unsheltered.
- Warming centers. These centers offer shelter to those in need during extreme weather. This map shows warming centers across the state and links to their donation pages if they have them.
- Feeding Texas. If you live in the area, you can use this resource to find a food bank near you. If you would like to donate, your resources go to feeding those in need.
- Donate to a local restaurant. Here is a list of local restaurants offering free meals to those in need right now. You can call and make a donation directly to increase their capacity.
- Maximize Hope. This organization coordinates hotel rooms and food for the unsheltered. You can donate here.
- Red Cross. This organization is running shelters and donation distribution sites across the state. You can find a list of their shelters and needed items on their website. The Red Cross is relevant resource for this crisis and key player in times of need, but please note many local advocates are encouraging donors to focus on Texas-based organizations for more targeted aid.
- Austin Pets Alive. This organization is supporting animals in the greater Austin area during the cold weather. Donations can be made on their website.
These are just some of the many local and national nonprofits currently working to provide relief in Texas, but if you’re looking for ways to contribute, they are a good place to start!