Avocado is the trademark food of brunch-loving millennials, but as it turns out, this trendy fruit has not only a delicious buttery flavor but also many great health benefits! Here are a few reasons why you should incorporate avocado into your diet.
- Full of healthy fats. Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fat which boosts heart health and reduces total blood cholesterol. It also keeps you full between meals and helps your body absorb fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- High in micronutrients. An avocado contains more potassium than a banana and is high in vitamin E, which prevents blood clots and serves as a powerful antioxidant. It’s also high in B6 which supports a healthy metabolism.
- Antioxidants! On top of vitamin E, avocados provide carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, which reduce inflammation and improve eye health respectively.
- Promote healthy digestion. Just ⅓ of an avocado has about 3.5 grams of fiber, about 14 percent of your daily recommended intake, to help regulate digestion.
- Can help with weight loss. Research has linked dietary fiber to more successful weight loss, so you may find one serving a day can help with your health goals.
You’ve likely enjoyed avocado in a burrito or on toast, but one of the best things about avocados is their versatility. Reap these healthy benefits by including avocado in your salads, in sushi, with eggs, or even in a smoothie!