Cutting back on sodium doesn’t mean your food has to be bland. Too much sodium can have negative health impacts, but fortunately, there are delicious and healthier alternatives to keep your food interesting without sacrificing your blood pressure. Here are some of the most flavorful salt alternatives to jazz up your meals.
- Garlic. This flavor booster also helps boost immunity and lower blood pressure.
- Lemon juice. This zesty ingredient will make your food pop without the extra sodium.
- Pepper. Don’t forget about salt’s partner in crime. This simple spice adds a deeper flavor and tones of spice.
- Dill. This garnish isn’t just for pickles! Try it to add some hints of celery and fennel to any dish.
- Onion powder. This versatile spice will add complexity to nearly any savory recipe.
- Nutritional yeast. Also a great source of B12, this ingredient is known for its cheese-like taste.
- Balsamic vinegar. Drizzle over food to add some sharpness or cook it down to a reduction for an even stronger flavor.
- Smoked paprika. This deep red, spicy ingredient is delicious on tacos, fries, or as a substitute for salsa.
- Truffle oil. This incredibly potent delicacy is infused with edible fungi.
- Rosemary. You can likely find this delicious garnish growing right in your own neighborhood.
- Ginger. Dried, fresh, or pickled, this distinctive ingredient is also great for boosting your immune system.
- Coconut aminos. This popular alternative to soy sauce is made from the nectar of coconut palms.
- Coriander. This spice comes from the seeds of the cilantro plant and adds a warm floral taste.
- Red pepper flakes. If you’re seeking spice, even a small amount of these flakes will add the kick you’re craving.
- Apple cider vinegar. Both sweet and tart, this vinegar is a heart-healthy flavor swap.
- Cinnamon. Popular in sweet dishes, this spice can also be added to savory soups, roasts, and chilis.
- Sage. Good both dried or fresh, this herb has both hints of citrus and eucalyptus.
- Tarragon. With a distinctive licorice-like taste, this ingredient isn’t for everyone, but it is delicious in butter or cream sauces.
Cutting back on sodium can be tough, but cook at home and with these delicious salt substitutes and you’ll never look back!