Today’s Solutions: May 23, 2022

In 2020, the Chinese University of Hong Kong’s Center for Communication and Public Opinion Survey made it very clear that stress-induced sleep deprivation was a widespread problem. Almost seven out of 10 respondents disclosed that they were experiencing insomnia, and of those, 60 percent of them believed that a good night’s sleep was evading them because of the pandemic and social unrest, while the other 40 percent blamed work and school-based stress.

The city itself doesn’t help, as construction noises are often heard from dawn until dusk, and most people have to live in small spaces, likely with roommates or family, making their own homes unideal for resting.

This explains why it’s not uncommon for tired workers to bring eye masks and neck pillows to the office so that they can catch a few winks on their lunch breaks, and why Instagram accounts such as mtrsleepers, which features photos of the funny and creative ways residents of Hong Kong nap on the subway, have endless content.

Well, Frankie Chow, the founder of Ulu Travel Agency, is providing a solution for the stressed out and sleep-deprived: a five-hour bus route designed especially for passengers to sleep. “The motion of buses resembles a mother swaying a baby in her arms. It is very comfortable,” he reasons. “I have loved taking the bus since I was young, and I love sleeping on the bus.”

Chow’s air-conditioned double-decker bus drives along a scenic 47-mile-long journey, the longest public bus route in Hong Kong. Passengers are comfortably situated on artificial leather seats with head supports and are given eye masks and earplugs to help them fall asleep. The journey includes stops at particularly beautiful points along the route, and for bathroom breaks.

One of the passengers on the buses’ debut trip to nowhere, 44-year-old Ally Yeung, reported that she used to love napping on her commute to and from work, but since switching to a job closer to her home, she hasn’t had a chance to indulge in a proper bus nap. “It doesn’t need to be like nighttime when you have to force yourself to sleep because you’re supposed [to sleep at night],” she says, “But you’ll easily fall asleep on the bus when it moves.”

The long bus route may also provide residents with an “escape” from the city, as most residents are unable to travel abroad because of the city’s quarantine requirements.

Solutions News Source Print this article
More of Today's Solutions

New program seeks to break the cycle between jail and homelessness

Several factors can lead to homelessness: a lack of affordable housing, high costs of living, and even, sadly, mental illness. Another factor that contributes to homelessness, which is often overlooked, is incarceration.  Many individuals serve ... Read More

How a century-old cargo schooner is bringing back emissions-free shipping

The shipping industry is responsible for 2.5 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions — putting about 940 million tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere every year. Before 1960, however, when containerization started to take off, ... Read More

Dam! Europe removes record number of river barriers in 2021

In 2021, Spain began a movement to remove dams from the country’s rivers to restore fish migration routes and boost biodiversity across the nation. They successfully took down 108 barriers and inspired other European countries ... Read More

This contact lens releases glaucoma medication

While it is treatable, glaucoma remains a serious eye disease that can damage the optic nerve and lead to blindness if left untreated. Open-angle glaucoma is the most common form of the disease, and research ... Read More

US soccer and national teams reach agreement to close gender pay gap

In a historic win for women’s rights, US Soccer and both the women’s and men’s national teams have proclaimed a collective bargaining agreement to close the gender pay gap and ensure that each player, regardless ... Read More

New immunotherapy drug combo slows liver cancer growth in mice

There is something of an art to the science of medicine. We’ve all heard that everyone’s different, and so is their biology. Sometimes, developing the right treatment for a patient’s condition takes dedicated and creative ... Read More