Today’s Solutions: April 12, 2024

We all want a sparkling smile, yet our dental habits often fall short. Flossing, an essential step in oral care, is sometimes overlooked, leaving our gums bleeding and our teeth vulnerable. However, because to the tireless quest of information by experts such as Tufts University periodontologists David Basali and Irina Dragan, there is newfound hope for our gum health.

The flossing debacle

Many of us have had difficulty flossing for a variety of reasons, such as sensory irritation or simply not knowing the proper technique. Ineffective flossing can cause gum bleeding and, ironically, gum damage. Dr. Irina Dragan advises that poor flossing can lead to clefts and gum recession, undermining our efforts to achieve improved dental health.

The science of gum health

Our mouths are a battleground for both healthy and nasty microorganisms, with both fighting for domination. These microorganisms build biofilm fortresses on our teeth, but when the equilibrium shifts, inflammation occurs. This inflammation is not limited to our mouths; it can also have a negative impact on our hearts, brains, and overall health, and has been linked to major disorders like as cancer and diabetes.

The fine art of flossing

David Basali, Dr. Irina Dragan, and their colleagues set out to discover the secrets of flossing for healthy gums. In a randomized clinical research, they gave one group specific flossing instructions while allowing the other group to continue with their regular flossing procedure. The results were nothing short of astounding.

Over the course of eight weeks, 88 percent of those who used the new technique, known as the Adapted Horizontal Vertical Flossing Technique (AHVFT), mastered it. Their gum bleeding was decreased by an astounding 70 percent. The control group, on the other hand, experienced only a 30 percent drop by keeping to their old habits.

The AHVFT approach is straightforward:

1. Cut 32 cm (18 inch) of floss and wrap it around your ring fingers, leaving around 12 cm (6 inch) between your hands.

2. Hold the floss between your thumb and index finger in each hand, palms down.

3. Gently insert the floss between two teeth, being careful not to injure the gums, and move it back and forth like a saw, providing upward and downward pressure.

Repeat this procedure for all of your teeth and watch your gum health improve.

Surprisingly, dental students and assistants were among the study participants who immediately adopted this practice. Their delight for this newly discovered flossing technique attests to its effectiveness.

Tufts University research supplies us with the ultimate key to excellent dental health: flossing. By mastering the AHVFT technique, you may say goodbye to bleeding gums and hello to a brighter, healthier smile. Your gums will appreciate it, and your entire health will benefit.

Solutions News Source Print this article
More of Today's Solutions

The science behind the top 2 personality traits people look for in romantic p...

In a world dominated by superficial characteristics, a recent study published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior offers a novel viewpoint on love preferences. ...

Read More

Is “zone 2 cardio” the new HIIT? A beginners’ guide to this...

So, what exactly is the hype around zone 2 cardio that’s popping up on all our social feeds? Let's break it down into simpler ...

Read More

Grow these plants around your home as natural mosquitos repellents

While there are countless positives that come with the warmer seasons, there’s one huge downside.  Yep, mosquitos! These pesky insects can leave us itching ...

Read More

Italian fisherman uses underwater sculptures to stop trawling

Italian fisherman Paolo Fanciulli had been fishing the waters of the Maremma coastline for almost 40 years. These sea habitats near Tuscany, and Fanciulli’s ...

Read More