Canada strikes historic deal to protect rainforest from logging

Deforestation is a plague to the Earth, damaging the quality of land, eliminating wildlife and destroying the trees that absorb much of the world’s carbon emissions. That’s why British Columbia is going an extra step to protect the Great Bear Rainforest with a historic deal made between the logging industry, environmentalists and the First Nations, the Aboriginal Canadian tribes native to the area. The deal will protect 85% of the world’s largest coastal temperate rainforest from any sort of deforestation or development, while the other 15% remains available for logging under the “most stringent” standards in North America. In the 1990s, the First Nations began to witness destructive forestry practices and have fought with environmentalists to protect the precious land. Now with the deal, most of the 6.4 million hectares of forest will be safe from harm.

Solution News Source

Canada strikes historic deal to protect rainforest from logging

Deforestation is a plague to the Earth, damaging the quality of land, eliminating wildlife and destroying the trees that absorb much of the world’s carbon emissions. That’s why British Columbia is going an extra step to protect the Great Bear Rainforest with a historic deal made between the logging industry, environmentalists and the First Nations, the Aboriginal Canadian tribes native to the area. The deal will protect 85% of the world’s largest coastal temperate rainforest from any sort of deforestation or development, while the other 15% remains available for logging under the “most stringent” standards in North America. In the 1990s, the First Nations began to witness destructive forestry practices and have fought with environmentalists to protect the precious land. Now with the deal, most of the 6.4 million hectares of forest will be safe from harm.

Solution News Source

SIGN UP

TO GET A Free DAILY DOSE OF OPTIMISM

Optimist Subscriber
Delivery Frequency *
reCAPTCHA

We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously. Privacy Policy