Over the past two years, most of us have found ourselves spending more time with our families than ever before, especially if you have kids home from college or aren’t used to working from home. The upside of social distancing and sheltering in place is that we have the opportunity to reconnect and spend meaningful time with our loved ones. Here are some ideas for taking advantage of this strange time to bond with your family.
- Cook dinner together: Cooking can be therapeutic and an opportunity to teach your kids some family recipes. Sharing a family meal is one of the best ways to bond over something we all love: food.
- Take a tech-free walk: If you have the opportunity to take a family walk, do so without screens to really enjoy the time outdoors and share the experience with your family.
- Start a family movie night: It doesn’t have to be every night, but family movie nights can be a great way to pass the time and relieve some tension. Take turns choosing the film for the evening.
- Get creative: Start a garden, paint the bathroom, or try a new recipe. Try to pick a project using tools and supplies from around your home.
- Have a family picnic: You don’t have to leave home to have a great picnic. Throw out a blanket in your front yard, on your balcony, or even in your living room.
- Have a fancy dinner night: Get dressed up to stay in. Cook a luxurious meal, break open a nice bottle of wine, and put on your finest attire!
- Play games: A great screen-free way to pass the time and crown the true house monopoly champion.
- Take up a new hobby: Always wanted to try knitting or bread making? Now is the time.
- Set up an email or video-chat schedule: Set aside time to call and check in with relatives who live elsewhere or send out a weekly email with updates about activities.
If you’re finding yourself catching a bit of cabin fever, you’re not alone. Keeping kids entertained, fitting in “me time,” and managing a remote workspace can be challenging, but finding new and exciting activities to do as a family will help relieve tension and bring you closer to those you love in this uncertain time.