We depend on our washing machines to keep our clothing clean and fresh, but when was the last time you gave your machine a scrub? Cleaning your washing machine every couple months will eliminate moldy smells and make it last longer. Here’s an easy way to clean out your machine with natural ingredients you might already have on hand.
- Start with an empty machine and add two cups of baking soda. Run the machine on a large hot water cycle. This will gently scrub out the inside of the machine.
- Next, mix two cups of plain vinegar with 10 drops of an essential oil (lavender or tea tree work well). Add it to the washing machine and run on another hot cycle.
- Next, wipe down the drum using a cotton cloth and vinegar. If your machine has any stains, a simple paste made of baking soda and water should scrub them out.
- If your machine front loads, use the cloth to wipe down the rubber seal around the door and opening to get out any mold or dirt that has collected.
- Wipe down the outside of the machine to get rid of dust and detergent spills. If you can, remove and soak the detergent trays in hot water then wipe clean.
Some machines have cleaning cycles meant for this process. You can use your own cleaning solution and the machine’s cycle. Remember to leave the door of your machine ajar to keep mold from collecting when it’s not in use. Although a bit water and labor intensive, washing your machine every couple months will help your appliance last longer and clean your clothing more effectively. If you’ve got some extra quarantine time on your hands today, give that washing machine a scrub!