Adding a minute or two of morning reflection to your daily routine is a small but valuable change that can improve your management performance throughout the day.
A team of researchers from the University of Florida backs up this claim after studying managers and aspiring leaders who would take a few moments in the morning to reflect on the kind of leaders they want to be.
The researchers compiled a list of five questions to ask yourself to help you embody your full leadership potential:
- Who do you aspire to be as a leader?
- Imagine that today goes as well as it possibly could for you as a leader—what does that look like?
- What qualities of yours make you a good leader?
- What are your proudest leadership moments?
- What impact do you want to have on your employees? (motivation, inspiration, talent development, etc.) What traits of yours will facilitate that?
Current leaders and aspiring leaders alike who reported practicing this daily reflection displayed more strategic vision and support for their teammates, and also felt more powerful and influential in the office. Try it out for yourself and let these questions guide you into becoming the leader you always wanted to be!